Wednesday, 11 October 2017

Summation Operation


My new Korg Sigma, a totally bonkers and short-lived mono synth from 1979. I wanted to try sequencing it, and as I don't have an appropriate Hz-to-Volt analog sequencer (mine are all Volt-per-Octave) I had to rig up a really cumbersome workaround. This involved using the Moog 960 sequencer to output V/Oct CV out to the Kenton CV-to-MIDI converter which output MIDI to the Future Retro Mobius sequencer MIDI input which converted to Hz/V to be sent to the CV input of the Sigma. PHEW! The drums were patched on the Moog Modular. I used two gate outputs of the sequencer to trigger the bass drum and snare sounds, which I had to sum with a mixer. Turns out this summation operation uses the Greek letter ∑ as its mathematical symbol - thats right folks, SIGMA!

1 comment: