Thursday 12 December 2013

Cupboard Love


Something amazing just happened that normally only happens in daydreams you know where you walk past a charity shop and imagine seeing a Moog modular in the window for £20

Well I got an email from a friend (thanks Phil J!!!) who has a friend who works at a London university in the music department one day a week. This chap was clearing out a cupboard and found a load of old gear that hadn't been used for years and wanted it to go to a good home, rather than it just being neglected or even worse chucked out. So I got passed this email saying there was a load of EMS gear from the 1970s and did I know of anyone who might want it!?!? So rather excitedly I replied that yes I am someone who is an avid fan of EMS equipment and that I own the rest of the matching series!! I had to pay a nominal fee to keep the bursar happy, but the amazing thing is I have now got the full set of EMS modules and keyboards and they are an exact match of my EMS VCS3 and DK1 (one of the first synths I bought 20+ years ago)

Here is a picture, my existing Putney and Cricklewood, and the new TKS touch keyboard and sequencer, 8 octave filter bank, pitch to voltage converter and random voltage generator. This is a very powerful system! Lucky me!!!!

I am working on getting them all up and running - the rack modules need the Bulgin power connectors and the TKS needs a power supply (my VCS3 Mk1 won't power it) but luckily Robin from EMS is helping out with supplying the manuals and info I need to get it all working nicely together. Watch this space!

5 comments:

  1. Wow - what a great Xmas present! You are the right custodian for this type of gear. Please demo when all up and running.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooooooh man! You lucky lucky person! Enjoy!-Matt (Giraffe Audio)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have been thinking of a modular synthesis setup for a long while and this has been the tipping point to get on the search, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  4. couldn't have gone to a better home......

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooooh, what a lucky man, he was!

    ReplyDelete