Saturday 16 October 2010

The Sound Makers of 1963




These amazing BBC archive records found their way in to my studio today. I can't explain how this happened due to the Official Electronic Secrets Act of 1957. I have 3 records which I will put up here over the next few days, and as far as I know these are not online anywhere else

The first is titled "The Sound Makers" and is a documentary about synthesis and sound manipulation at the BBC Radiophonic Workshop from 1963. It was part of the BBC's RECORDED PROGRAMMES PERMANENT LIBRARY which is an archive on vinyl, I believe limited to only a few copies of each




I have always felt that it is a shame the BBC don't make their archives available, think how much amazing stuff they have just sitting there in a vault somewhere - and that includes thousands of amazing TV programmes and documentaries

Below are some pictures from this gallery of Radiophonic Workshop images, chosen because they are from the period covered by the Sound Makers documentary











Download Side A
Download Side B

19 comments:

  1. Fantastic find - thanks for sharing.

    FYI - the 'Download Side B' link is linked to Side A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing! Thanks for a very valuable contribution.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent find! I try to keep up on everything Radiophonic, but I've never head to this album.

    Could you fix the link to Side B?

    Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. none of the links are working :-(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a million for this!!! sounds very interesting, but... links still not working :(

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, can you please repair the link, it still doesn't work...?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks appreciated

    ReplyDelete
  8. ok it seems my dropbox bandwith got seriously stretched there for a while.... should be alright now

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spread the (down)load!

    If the above are not working due to congestion, I've put Side A & B of the first record, along with a hyperlink and the large version of the label, into a .zip and put it on my own dropbox:

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/532297/BBB%20-%20The%20Sound%20Makers%20%281963%29.zip

    ReplyDelete
  10. I could chuffing KISS YOU

    ReplyDelete
  11. Untold thanks for uploading this. I tried to get it out of the archives a few years ago with no success, so you're a lucky chap indeed for finding the record. I'm only mildly insanely jealous...

    ReplyDelete
  12. A total find... Thanks a bunch for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. What about the rest of the recordings? Will they be shared with us?

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is brilliant. Dog biscuits winging their way over to your dog by carrier pigeon for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Are any more of these available to listen to?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi, sorry to bump this older post but I wondered if you might be able to re-upload both parts of this amazing "Sound Makers" documentary from 1963.

    I'm currently writing a fanzine article on the early days of the Radiophonic Workshop and it would be a huge help to hear this unique programme. I would, of course, credit your blog in the finished article. Thanks in advance for any help on this.

    ReplyDelete
  17. +1
    I've also doing research for articles on the Workshop, and this would be great to hear anyway - cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  18. My blog btw http://bbcrecords.co.uk/blog/

    ReplyDelete